11.7.11

Bringin Shakespeare Back (yeah)

 

So this might sound preachy or dorky, but I really think that every big city should have an outdoor summer Shakespeare festival. Edmonton has the Freewill Shakespeare Festival, which I’ve been attending for the last three years.  They performed “Titus Andronicus” and “A Comedy of Errors” in 2009, and “Macbeth” and “Much Ado About Nothing” last year. FSF is located in one of our biggest parks, and the price is roughly equivalent to a movie ticket. Awesome! [Note: Freewill Shakespeare Festival did not endorse me, I just love them].

 

 

Thursday night I went and saw their comedy for this year, and next week I’ll see their tragedy. Although “Twelfth Night” has one of the most unoriginal names ever, it’s a ridiculously funny play, especially the bawdy sub-plot of drunken pranksters.

FSF decided to go with a Steampunk setting and costumes, which were mostly well done, and with some techno versions of Beatles songs (this was the one part I really didn’t like) between scenes. I was surprised to find that the actress playing Viola was in my university orientation group in first year! Small world. They have a good mix of veteran and newly-premiering actors, with some

Overall it was a really funny play, well done and a great way to spend a summer evening if you can live through the mosquito plague.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

マッハ Go Go Go!