23.1.10

My Conversion to a Black Metal Fan

Last night, I went to my first black metal concert.
I haven’t been to a proper metal show since high school, and that was only with some local crappy bands in my small town. All I can remember about the bands is that one of them had a song called “Ship of Flesh”.



Behemoth is based around the Nietzschean idea that after the (conceptual) death of God, you yourself must become God. Their music was loud, harsh, melodic. The guitarist and bassist headbanged constantly, and their hair swirled around in perfect syncopation.



Drinks were expensive, but aren’t they always? I sipped on vodka-crans. Shining didn't come, a couple of crappy local bands opened instead. There were a lot of "try-too-hard" people in the audience. Behemoth played several songs from their newest album, and a few from earlier ones. They ripped a bible in half and threw it in the audience.

When it comes to the nitty gritty, I had a good time. I'm definitely not anti-Christian, but the imagery and ideas of this music are interesting.

This is going on my download list!

2 comments:

  1. Black metal is awesome. I'm one of the few people (and maybe you are too) who appreciate it without feeling the need to dress like goths :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh definitely, I wore a blazer and jeans! Thanks so much for the comment.

    ReplyDelete

マッハ Go Go Go!